Sunday, July 15, 2007

So little time to knit all that we (I) want...

OK. See that blue thing sticking out of the green and black bag (my knitting bags are so classy)? It's one half of "Scalpay", started eons ago, and never finished. I was going through some of my stash, and came across it. I never finished it for a couple of reasons - firstly, it's done primarily in seed stitch. Brigitte came to the conclusion that there is nothing like seed stitch to make her want to bang her head against the wall (as opposed to intarsia or entrelac, which just makes me want to be sick). And secondly - it's got a funky, "80's" shape to it. Kind of poufy, with a tight ribbing (and my tension is accurate). Just the right kind of shape to cut you right across the middle. Flattering. So, I now have a bunch of beautiful 3-ply Hebridean in the "Summer Tide" shade. I'm trying to figure out what I could do with it. And there is A LOT.


Any suggestions?


Other than that, I've been plugging away working on Amphora's sleeve, and the Kiri shawl. I really, really want to pick up something new, but I will not allow myself until I finish a couple other things. Why? Just look at the picture above! OK, so my bike bags and my needle drawer are on the table too. But the rest are stuff I still love, but just can't get to. I still love my Gingko Leaf tunic, and I have been working steadily on it - it's simply that ours is a love that benefits from taking a break... Which is probably why it's taking me so long to finish it. But finish it, I will!
And lately, I've been comforted by Western Seas' straight stocking stitch. Go figure.

Thunderstorms and Kitties

Gandalf? He's cool with it.

Mae? Barely bats an eyelash.



Atticus? Can't be found. He can sense the rain and storms well before they start, and hides. Don't ask me where. Or how a 19 lbs cat can even find a good hiding place. Little funny face...



Mmmmmmmmmm


My haul from last Thursday's Farmers Market at work. It's berry season! I confess I'm not the biggest berry fan - this is the only time of year that I really indulge, most likely because they're so fresh and yummy looking. What I really love - peaches, pears and apples. My favourites, and their season won't start until August/September here in Southern Ontario.


And some yummy cauliflower and brocolli. When it comes to vegetables, I love to eat pretty much all of them. I also picked up some new potatoes and more of the organic guacamole, which may or may not still be in my fridge. Most likely "not"...


So - have you visited Lorraine's new site? Her Twisted Traditions designs are now available for sale! She has her Fair Isle patterns up right now, and her Aran design "Kilkenny" is going to be available soon. I'm excited!! I've knit "Ophelia", I have the "Windsor Waistcoat" kit in my stash, and that would be yours truly wearing "Delphine" in the picture on the site. Oh, and I believe Marina is ready to knit "Fair Rosamund", another coveted pattern of mine...


So little time to knit all that we (I) want...

11 comments:

Michelle Martino said...

Well... finally nice to meet you brigitte :)
I had not idea "Delphine" was you, but I have said so many times... how beautiful the photo is ..the model and the sweater compliment one another beautifully! you look lovely. That sweater is one of my favorites but until I lose 30 pounds... its a no go.

Marina said...

My WIPs live on the flat filing cabinet (dining table), balls in use are in plastic shopping bags and spare ones are in 2 gallon Ziploc bags! I think they want to move to your place ;-)

Was Scalpay in any publication? I just can't figure it out!

Seven more sleeves to go before Fair Ros!

Chris said...

No 80s shaping! :) I'm glad you're recovering the yarn.

Chaos is my big fraidy cat. May? Whatever.

Mmmm - I love cherries and strawberries and blueberries and nectarines. I used to be ok with winter fruits when I could eat apples and pears, but I became allergic to them about a year and a half ago. Hmph.

Lorraine said...

Bridge- Intarsia is a bad word!

Not only are you an amazing knitter, you're a perfect model. I think you missed your calling. I'll be using you for Guinevere before AS finds out about you.

Poor Atticus bear- such a fraidy cat.

miyamojo said...

Go with the flow - work on whatever feels right.
Also knowing when to move off a project is good too! (scalpay)
You really sell that sweater-great model! I'm NOT looking! ;)
Whenever I see a Fair isle I ask myself why I'm doing lace! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't place Scalpay either but 80's style? Probably just as well you reclaimed it. Seed stitch makes you bang your head against a wall? lol. No clue what to do with it. A nice cable sweater? Like Kilkenny? Which is going to be mine.

Cats are so cute. Hez is completely unfazed by fireworks but they used to put Sheba into a scaredy cat frenzy.

My WIPS live in similar bags, but smashed into a basket, roughly Mt Everest high.

Anonymous said...

Drools...over new website...over veggies...over berries.

Anonymous said...

It is so true that we never can get to what we want. I have projects always swimming happily through my mind, but they'd be much happier if they were speeding off my needles. oh well. I find when I'm in the mood to start something new, something small quick and fun is in order, like a nose warmer :-) okay not a nose warmer, maybe a finger glove. You know just a tube for one finger. okay I'm in a weird mood obviously.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, cats and thunderstorms... Lady used to be totally terrified of them, even if there was a slight thunder to be heard miles and miles away, she would hide under the bed shaking - but nothing like that anymore. She's got so ultimately cool in the past year, she isn't afraid of fireworks anymore nor of going to the vet's, and she's certainly at her coolest when it comes to thunderstorms. Now she sits close to the window or even on the windowsill or at the balcony door and looks out highly curiously and interested - yep, cats rock indeed! ;)

Nicole said...

I know the feeling about the lack of time. I suffer from it myself.

Right now I'm on a lace kick, but I do eventually want to knit myself a sweater. Plus there's the baby gifts, and the summer of socks, and....

Brenda said...

I ripped a back and front that had "80s shaping." It's just not good!

I love berries, but here in CA the season is pretty much over. But now it's time for all the fresh tomatoes!

Thanks for the link to Lorraine's new site. I couldn't find the link on her blog.