Sunday, September 27, 2009

Peace Reigns

It didn't take long for Malcolm to find a surrogate Kitty Mom. Gandalf stepped in to the role rather quickly. Cleaning him, sleeping next to him, making sure he's ok when he starts whimpering, playing with him...sometimes a bit too roughly, but hey. Malcolm is made of rubber. Can you tell?! He's also carried him around by the scruff of the neck as well. Funny how these instincts rise to the surface in adult (even male?) cats. I never thought I'd see the day when Gandalf would be such a soft touch.


However, it took a few more days for the others to come around.



First was Gandalf, within 24 hours.

"I love you Big Brother! You're awesome!"

Gandalf has the most patience with him, pretty much allowing Malcolm to do anything. But, when it comes to teaching the little grasshopper some manners, he can be a bit forceful. After a few days of breaking them up, Chris and I realized one thing - Malcolm is a bit of a Drama Queen. And most times, he initiates the wrestling matches. Gandalf is not hurting him, he's just teaching him how to behave. Malcolm? Hasn't quite caught on yet, at least when he's with Gandalf.

Then Atticus came around. I woke up one night to find Malcolm sleeping next to Atticus.

Atticus hotly denied this. But, I caught this moment.

"I love you Really Really Big Brother! You're awesome!"

"Yeah, I know."

Atticus will put up with Malcolm only so long. Which is no different from the other cats and people in his life. It's funny watching him trying to clean Malcolm - while Gandalf will physically hold him down to clean him, Atticus will try to get in in between Malcolm squirms. It's so funny watching his head bob up and down trying to get a clean in. He'll play with him as well, but when he's had enough, he's had ENOUGH. Malcolm is slowly getting that message, heh.

Then there's Mae.

"I love you Big Sister! You're awesome!"

"Just lie there, squirt."



She's come around, although very much on her own terms. He can sleep next to her, but there will be NO playing, NO wrestling, and NO cleaning. And he'd better not swat at her tail. She's a stern one, that Mae. But, Malcolm seems to have gotten that message, and goes to her for a nap cuddle.

So, peace reigns amongst the clan. I knew they'd be fine together, I just didn't expect it so quickly. And I certainly didn't expect Gandalf to find his inner Queen Cat, and become so motherly towards Malcolm. The boy has a good appetite, and his older siblings have taught him how to whine at just the right times for food. Mealtimes can be a bit of a challenge - keeping him out of their food, and them out of his kitten food. It's getting there.

Chris was here visiting from Minneapolis, MN for awhile, and the Little Dudes were most impressed. Two humans dishing out pets and compliments? Doesn't get better than that! And, she came bearing gifts!


"Oooo, gifties! For me?"

For me! All sorts of stuff, some of which isn't even in the picture. There's a circular needle case, some notepaper, a book on Minnesota lore, some Noro Kureyon yarn for my Lizard Ridge blanket, some black kitty pot holders (LOL!), and a Socktopus from IKEA (the ones I've seen here aren't as funky). She also had a second swift lying around at home that she gave to me - something I don't have. And some gluten-free pretzels, pasta, and the entire line of Betty Crocker gluten-free baking mixes, which are not yet available in Canada. And I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff too. There was a LOT of stuff in that bag. And of course, toys for the kitties, which are now *somewhere* in the apartment.

She's back home now, much to the relief of Chaos and Mayhem. Apparently the smell of the Little Dudes didn't linger too much, and they seem unaware of time she spent in the company of other kitties... We had such a great time together, and the time zipped by so quickly! I knew we'd get along great, and we did.

We all miss you Chris! Come back again soon!

Oh! And in case you're wondering - yes, there has been knitting.

I finished a few things, probably not what you'd think though. I started making a pair of baby socks for a friend of mine who's wife just had another baby.

How CUTE are these?!!



And I also made a little hat as well. I think I may even have enough to make a little pair of mittens. The yarn I used to for the socks was left over from a pair I was making for myself. I started making them before I moved, and then forgot about them.

I've often been laughed at for having small feet (size 6.5).


Heh. Chris was here when I completed the pair. She saw for herself that they fit. :) The ones on the top, of course!

Have a great week everyone!

14 comments:

Chris said...

Yup, believe it or not, those socks actually did fit. Amazing. ;)

Yay!! I'm glad everyone's getting settled in with Malcolm. So he finally wore Mae down, eh? He is SO persistent!

You are very welcome! Again, thanks for letting me stay - it was so much fun! As Carrie K noted, they really need to get working on transporter technology, so we can all visit more frequently. :)

life ldc said...

I'm amazed at how quickly Malcolm squirmed his way into his new life -- way to go Malcolm!

Lorraine said...

Awwwwww!

Chris was great, I really wish she lived in TO- she fit right in. She'll have to get passports for Chaos and Mayhem.

OR, we'll have to take a trip to Minnesota.

Rebekah said...

Looks like Malcolm is settling in quite well, love the picture of him laying on his back.

I have a soft spot for orange kitties, we had one when I was a kid named Diesel. He sounded like a truck when he purred.

knitseashore said...

Wow. I am amazed. And envious! So glad little Malcolm is fitting in right away, and Gandalf is doing his best big brother thing. Isn't it amazing that adult males can be motherly when they want to?

miyamojo said...

Heeheehee! Awwww! I'm so glad they're all getting along. I think Mal steals the show - don't tell the others.

Love the socks & hat too! :)

Bridget said...

I'm so glad that everyone is doing well and getting along!

The Garden Kitty tried really hard to "tame" Jetsam when he first arrived, but has finally given up.

Tess of course, just wishes they would both disappear. Forever.

Sonya said...

That Malcolm is a hoot! I spit coffee on my desk when I saw the first picture. I'm glad to see Mae has come around however sternly.

Shannon said...

Hehehe I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the first picture.

Carrie K said...

I love the look that both Atticus and Mae are giving you. Aw, who could resist Malcolm? Such a sweet face.

Look at all those gifties!! Sweet!

mrspao said...

Chris is such fun! Malcolm is doing really really well. :)

Nicole said...

Oh, I love that first picture! And I'm glad you and Chris had such a fun visit.

I would tease you about having small feet, except it has come to my notice that with small feet you spend less time making each pair of socks for yourself than I spend making socks for *my*self. So I'll just be jealous instead.

Lynn said...

I LOVE it when they cuddle so close like that!!!!

carolyninalaska said...

What a cute family! Great socks and hat too. Sorry I missed your post when I was on vacation.